The Islamic Economy Workshop IV was jointly organized by İLKE Ilim Cultural Education Association (ILEM) and the Economic Enterprise and Business Ethics Association of Turkey (İGİAD) under the title "Social Justice from Islamic Economic Perspective" on April 2-3, 2016.The workshop which was hosted by the Istanbul University’s Islamic Economics and Finance Department primarily addressed the concept of social justice and related issues from the perspective of Islamic economics.
It is worth noting that while the income inequality is increasing day by day, poverty has become a worldwide problem and amidst inhuman labor conditions, inadequate salaries, social insecurity and the existence of a disadvantaged labor market many governments have failed in producing efficient policy measures to counter these issues.
The features of capitalist politics that distance it from the social justice and its characteristics of the inequality that deepen every decade and prevent economic and social prosperity from reaching wide masses have been criticized for years by many Muslim scholars. These criticisms follow the claims that only an alternative theoretical and practical economic order mapped in the Islamic principles can provide social justice. The introductory work in Islamic Economics in 1960s was featured by great focus on the issue of social justice which unfortunately deviated towards an over financialization of the Islamic Economics discipline in the later years hence a need for its re-formation exists.
In this context, Islamic Economics Workshop IV aimed to carry out discussions dealing with the issues surrounding the title of social justice from the Islamic economics perspective. Thus, a collective study of how to bring together the academicians who work on all sides of the world to examine the causes of the current social and economic injustices in a realistic and profound way and how to construct the theoretical ground of Islamic principles based on principles and which alternative mechanisms to take was the main motivation behind this activity. In this framework, brief summaries focused on the following questions:
- The main causes and consequences of social injustice in today’s world
- Measures taken to ensure social justice at the global and local scale and their impact / success rate
- Social justice debates and prominent topics
- Contribution to Islamic economic perspectives on social justice debates
- How is social justice understood and practiced today in Muslim societies?
- The effects and results of economic policies applied in Muslim societies in terms of social justice
- How can social justice be addressed today with an Islamic perspective?
- Principles and mechanisms to provide social justice in the framework of Islamic economics
- Measures to remove class differences and income injustice by an economic system based on Islamic principles
- What kind of social justice can be established by the Zakat Institution, Interest’s prohibition, charity and its promotion, the prohibition of luxury and waste etc.?
- How can the principles and institutional qualities of Islamic economics exist in today's economic system?
- How should the dynamics of distribution and redistribution be structured for a fair economic life?
- What are the sources, causes and consequences of poverty that exist in Muslim geographies?
- How can struggle against poverty be handled from an Islamic perspective?
- What should be the parameters that determine taxation, social security and minimum wage policies in the context of Islamic economics?
- How are the reflections of development-based economic policies applied in Muslim societies in terms of social justice?
- As a social policy element, how should the labor market's regulations be realized?
- What kinds of solutions can be brought from the Islamic economic perspective to the debt crises that states nowadays are experiencing?
Lütfi Sunar, İstanbul Üniversitesi
Necmettin Kızılkaya, İstanbul Üniversitesi
Nihat Erdoğmuş, Yıldız Teknik Üniversitesi
Süleyman Güder, İLKE İlim Kültür Eğitim Derneği
Yusuf Enes Sezgin, İLKE İlim Kültür Eğitim Derneği
Murat Şentürk, İstanbul Üniversitesi
SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARD
Abdulazeem Abozaid, Emirates Islamic Bank
Abdullah Durmuş, Istanbul University
Adem Esen, Istanbul Sebahattin Zaim University
Ahmet Faruk Aysan, Boğaziçi University
Ahmet Yükleyen, İstanbul Commerce University
Asad Zaman, International Islamic University
Burhanettin Can, İGİAD
Celali Yılmaz, SPK
Cengiz Kallek, İstanbul Şehir University
Erkan Erdemir, İstanbul Şehir University
Fahim Khan, Riphah Center of Islamic Business
Fatih Savaşan, Sakarya University
Feridun Yılmaz, Uludag University
Gülfettin Çelik, Istanbul Medeniyet University
Haluk Songür, Süleyman Demirel University
Lütfi Sunar, Istanbul University
Mahmut Bilen, Sakarya University
Masudul Alam Choudhury, Sultan Qaboos University
Mehmet Babacan, Istanbul Commerce University
Mehmet Saraç, Istanbul University
Murat Şentürk, İGİAD
Murat Taşdemir, Medeniyet University
Murteza Bedir, İstanbul University
Necdet Şensoy, TCMB
Necmettin Kızılkaya, İstanbul University
Nihat Erdoğmuş, İstanbul Şehir University
Nurullah Gür, Medipol University
Sabri Orman, TCMB
Servet Bayındır, İstanbul University
Tamer Çetin, Yıldız Technical University
Yusuf Alpaydın, Marmara University
Davut Şanver İLKE İlim Kültür Eğitim Derneği
Doç. Dr. Necmettin Kızılkaya Düzenleme Kurulu Başkanı
Prof. Dr. Murteza Bedir İstanbul Üniversitesi İlahiyat Fakültesi Dekanı
Prof. Dr. Mahmut Ak İstanbul Üniversitesi Rektörü
10.30-12.00 AÇILIŞ PANELI: İSLAM İKTISADI PERSPEKTIFINDEN SOSYAL ADALET
Prof. Dr. Halis Yunus Ersöz İstanbul Üniversitesi
Prof. Dr. Murteza Bedir İstanbul Üniversitesi
Prof. Dr. Nihat Erdoğmuş Yıldız Teknik Üniversitesi
Prof. Dr. Mahmut Bilen Sakarya Üniversitesi
13.30-15.00 I. OTURUM
Oturum Başkanı: Sabri Orman Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Merkez Bankası (TCMB), Türkiye
Tebliğ: Social Justice, Market, Society and Government: An Islamic Perspective
Toseef Azid & Osamah Hussain Al Rawashdeh Qassim University, Suudi Arabistan
Müzakereci: Fatih Savaşan Sakarya Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: Human Freedom, Market Economy and Social Justice in Islam
Valentino Cattelan University of Florence, İtalya
Müzakereci: Mehmet Saraç İstanbul Üniversitesi, Türkiye
15.30-17.00 II. OTURUM
Oturum Başkanı: Yusuf Alpaydın Marmara Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: Partial Equilibrium Analysis of Zakat
Dwi Retno Widiyanti Universitas Brawijaya, Endonezya
Müzakereci: Abdullah Şahin İstanbul Şehir Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: Pursuing Social Justice through Islamic Micro-Takaful in the Informal Economy: Social Capital Matter
Yulizar D. Sanrego Tazkia University, Endonezya
Müzakereci: Nurettin Tüysüz İstanbul Üniversitesi, Türkiye
17.30-19.00 III. OTURUM
Oturum Başkanı: Servet Bayındır İstanbul Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: The Role of Waqfs in Promoting Social Justice
Hüsnü Tekin Hazine Müsteşarlığı, Türkiye
Müzakereci: Ahmet Temel İstanbul Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: How Social Aids Affect People’s Willingness to Work: Developing a Social Aid Framework within the Context of Islam
Ömer Faruk Tekdoğan İstanbul Üniversitesi, Türkiye Mehmet Tarık Eraslan Yıldırım Beyazıt Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Müzakereci: Ahmet Gündoğdu International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation, Türkiye
09.30-11.00 IV. OTURUM
Oturum Başkanı: Abdullah Kahraman Kocaeli Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: Opportunities and Challenges of Productive Zakat as a Social Justice Mechanism: Case Study in Indonesia
Aimatul Yumna Padang State University, Endonezya
Müzakereci: Murat Taşdemir İstanbul Medeniyet Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: The Role of Zakat and Financial Inclusion for the Social Justice
Selim Erbağcı Bankacılık Düzenleme ve Denetleme Kurumu (BDDK), Türkiye
Müzakereci: Yusuf Kaya Sermaye Piyasası Kurulu (SPK), Türkiye
11.30-13.00 V. OTURUM
Oturum Başkanı: Necdet Şensoy Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Merkez Bankası (TCMB), Türkiye
Tebliğ: How Can Islamic Banks Achieve Social Justice?
Khoutem Ben Jedidia Higher Institute of Accounting and Business Administration (ISCAE), Tunus
Müzakereci: Nurullah Gür İstanbul Medipol Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Tebliğ: Interest and Social Justice: Impact of Real Interest Rate on Income Inequality
Ozan Maraşlı Ankara Üniversitesi, Türkiye
Müzakereci: Hafsa Orhan İstanbul Sabahattin Zaim Üniversitesi, Türkiye
13.00-13.30 KAPANIŞ OTURUMU